Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Optimism abounds

I know optimism will bring us our best chances for a quicker recovery for my little women, so I am trying to look forward to when they are completely themselves again!

It was quite hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel though last night, and into this morning. Dan and I just stared at them sleeping out on the loveseat (where they have requested to sleep since they've been sick, and been passed out before 6:30pm every night despite LONG naps) from about 8:30pm until he had to leave for work. We kept discussing the color of their cheeks which had by then turned fire engine red. They were both burning up. I woke up at about 1:30am realizing that I felt ridiculously hot, and realized that the source of heat was Beebster laying next to me. I checked her temperature, and it was 102.5. I gave her Tylenol, but by 2:00am it had risen to 103.5. I am not used to them having fevers or being this incredibly sick, and it really was making me scared. She screamed in her sleep from then until waking at about 8:30am. I would rub her back and stomach in circles, and this would soothe her for a short while before the screaming would begin again.

They both woke up with low-grade fevers, and I've realized that now the 3 of us girls have colds. Lovely. The cherry on top of the sundae. I'm thinking that on Monday Faith must have come down with a cold when she went out to Blockbuster with Dan for a short trip in the afternoon. She was the only one of us that day that was feeling well, and Dan hadn't quite been hit yet with the lovely stomach virus so he wanted to get her out for a little while. It just so happened that there was about a 5-minute downpour that looked like hail right when they stepped out of the car to come back inside. I'm wondering if, despite being dressed like an Eskimo, her immune system was still weak and then the cold and rain put the icing on the deal for her and she came down with this next cold. 

After watching "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse" and "Backyardigans" this morning and eating nothing more than a few tablespoons of applesauce for breakfast, I realized this day would be another disaster. Faith was crying from the discomfort of a runny nose and probably a sore throat and/or congested head, and Maddie was laying on the floor wanting to do nothing but sleep. I got out their Play Doh's and we spent a good while making pizzas, and luckily that seems to have turned the day around for my little women. I set up their Disney Memory game and a version that Faith could play too, and they loved it. Maddie got out Disney Scene-It and Faith even loved watching the clips and rolling the dice. They colored with markers then- and Faith made a picture which she hung so proudly on the fridge for Dan (she now constantly asks, "Where Da-da?" when he is not around)- and then played happily on the top bunk for almost an hour setting up Radiator Springs with Beanie Baby cats that were supposed to be Marie, Toulouse, and Berlioz. My little troopers. I know they feel like total crap, but I'm hopeful they can finally have a fun day.

No comments: